Best Activities for Brain Health
Physical Ways to Keep Your Mind Sharp
Your brain is engaged by activities that are intensive, repetitive, and progressively changing. These types of activities engage both your brain’s speed and accuracy. A healthy brain has to be functional with SPEED and ACCURACY.
Brain Health Activities
- Visit a museum
- Use peripheral vision
- Do jigsaw puzzles with no fewer than 500 pieces
- Learn a musical instrument
- Word games: choose a multi-syllabic word and then take 5 minutes to see how many words you can make
- Get a good night’s sleep
- Memorize a song
- Play ball: throw around a ball or juggle
- Eat fish: fatty fish such as salmon or sardines
- Turn down the TV volume: set the volume down from your normal level
- Switch hands when you do tasks. Brushing teeth or eating with your non-dominant hand, for instance.
- Get exercise: jumping jacks or other aerobic exercises are good for both heart and brain function.
- Knit or crochet
- Eat dark chocolate
- Choose the rocky road. This may be my favorite one. Walk on cobblestone!!
Remember, to keep your brainspan as long as your lifespan you must learn something NEW and challenge yourself in progressive and novel ways while engaging several brain systems. You will be well rewarded!